Wednesday, October 10, 2012

When You Least Expect It

This little quilt turned out to be cute as a button!  Wow - where did that saying come from?  I guess it's been quietly waiting in the recesses of my mind all these years, waiting for just the right time to use it. The right time is now, because it was just adorable and really, as cute as a button.

  

There's no need for a tutorial on this quilt, it's awfully easy!  The point of my blog is all about for whom the quilt was made.

This little baby quilt was created from a printed panel. I simply added a brown sashing and then a border, so putting it together was a snap.  What took quite awhile, though, was machine stitching around every part of those cute little puppies, and all the patchwork blocks, and then stitching in the ditch.  This quilt is not going to fall apart, no matter how many times it will be washed!

 

The thing about this quilt that makes it special, though, is that it went to a young family who needed a lift.  She had a difficult pregnancy, and at one point they thought they might lose the baby. Needless to say, their medical bills were enormous after all the hospital stays.  Not a good way to start out with your first child.

When their son was born strong and healthy, it was cause for celebration!  The back of the quilt is brown Minky and the top is flannel, so it was soft and cuddly enough to treasure that precious baby boy.

This quilt is being entered in the 100 Quilts for Kids program that Katie over at Sew, Bike, Quilt! organized.  While it didn't go to an organized charity per se, it did go to a young family that needed a bit of help. They were struggling, and I hope that an anonymous gift brought a bit of unexpected joy for them!
 

14 comments:

  1. How sweet of you to make this for them. It's so special to make a quilt with someone in mind especially if it will really lift their spirits. Great Job! Give yourself a pat on the back they are going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right it is cute as a button! :) That was awesome of you to make that for them. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt made with LOVE given with LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!! How nice of you to send it off to someone in need :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from Plum and June's linky party. Now, although your puppy quilt is so friggin adorable and makes up for my hurt feelings, I was wounded not to see any PSY music videos here... taunting us with your name at Plum and June's :-) All joking aside - what a nice person you are for helping out this family. Greta job!
    cheers
    -k

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so adorable! And I'm sure the family who receive it will treasure it. Found you through Plum and June's linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am here from P&J, the quilt is so cute and I love the cause :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feels Good! There is something about sending a quilt that you know will put a smile on a little face, a quilt will be snuggled and for him/her to know that someone else cares. Sorry a bit late commenting--life getting in the way again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is simply adorable! I love the puppy print.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Barb, I'm stopping over from Sew Many Ways, Friend Friday to check out your adorable puppy quilt! I love that it is a panel and that you have put minky on the back to make it cuddle soft for baby. I have been looking for a puppy pattern too. I'm your newest follower, I'd love if you would stop by and follow me too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love that quilt i found you on sew many ways

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a precious quilt Barb, and what a neat panel!! I'm sure the family will love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts!

Remembering All The Little Things

I have let my blog side away in lieu of posting photos and updates over on Instagram. For me, it takes less time, and is a faster way to doc...