Thursday, October 4, 2012

Quilter McTavish Was In The House

I traveled 160 miles to Boise last weekend to take in an Heirloom Quilting Class put on by Karen McTavish, and to sit in on her Trunk Show. What an absolute delight!


 I signed up for the class knowing that I was over my head as far as my abilities as a long armer, but I was there to learn, right? Right.

Her fame as a skilled and talented long arm quilter precedes her wherever she goes and so I anticipated that I would be awed by her quilt work. But what I wasn't prepared for was her fabulous wit and character. Karen just might well be the Quilting World's Most Tattooed Quilter with a more colorful past than many, and she has the greatest way of telling her story so that you feel an instant connection. Look at the intensity in her expression in the photo below - she was definitely 'into' her story!



Anyway, I wanted to share a few of her pieces that she displayed at her Trunk Show.






In the early days of her quilting career, her local guild coined the term "McTavishing" for her style of quilting, and the term has stuck. Karen does a variety of dense feathering and fillers, trapunto, and whole cloth quilting that truly makes your heart stop when you look at it. Over exaggeration, sure. But definitely a show stopper!


In class we learned a variety of techniques and practices with cross hatching, curved cross hatching and stenciling.  I won't show you my practice piece - definitely not photo worthy yet.


Sigh. I have such an admiration for people who have such a talent with their craft. My goal isn't to do such intense quilting as this. However, I sure would love to practice and practice and become half as good as Karen.  One day . . . . .








22 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilts, remember practice makes perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you should show us your piece! What a neat experience to have! Well worth the drive it sounds like! Her quilts look stunning, I have only seen pictures but I'm sure they are breath taking in person :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see your practice piece too!!! That must have been a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh What Fun! I envy you, I would love to learn from her someday. Keep that practice piece and post after you have P-P-P'd.I am sure you will be "Barbishing" in no time! Even if you will be another year older next week. HaHa!
    What kind of longarm do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always go to such neat classes. I wish we had those type of classes here. I could never come close to being able to do anything like this. How beautiful! You keep practicing and you will get his good. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One day I would like to be 1/10tha as good as that. My Quilting just holds the layers together in a fancy way! you were lucky to go to one of her classes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen is a great teacher~I try to catch one of her classes each time MQX east comes to town~she has the talent and the stories! The only thing that separates you and her is practice as Mohala said in the prior post. i will check out your blog some more because I want to know what kind of machine you have.....xoxo E

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came to wish you a wonderful birthday !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Barb! It has been great meeting and chatting with you. Maybe you can come out my way and hang on the beach someday. Or better yet we meet up a some show!!!!!! Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Barb a little birdie told us it is your Birthday..... I hope it is filled with fun and laughter and lots of love too. Happy Birthday
    in stitches
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi!!! Happy Birthday!!! You know where I came over from!!!! Thanks for the pics above!!! I will be looking around your blog at more fun posts!!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning! There's a rumor going around the blog world that it's your birthday! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A little blue bird told me today someone special is having a Birthday. Enjoy your wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday!!! I heard the rumor today that it was your birthday. What a great time of year to have been born - Autumn. Have yourself a wonderful sort of day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU , HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO BARBARA HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU. MY GANDSON TURNS 3 TODAY TOO..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hopping over from the Leafs Me Happy hop to wish you a happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A little bird told me it's your birthday!!! Have a great day! It's my daughter's birthday too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't you just love Karen!!! She is a fabulous quilter and speaker! Hope you have a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I heard through the grapevine that you are having a birthday today! Happy Birthday!!! Hope your day is perfect in every way!! Don't forget to make a wish before you blow out those candles! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy birthday Barb! You didn't think Karen would let it pass quietly did you?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have a HB - Till We Quilt Again let us know that you are celebrating a special day

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts!

Remembering All The Little Things

I have let my blog side away in lieu of posting photos and updates over on Instagram. For me, it takes less time, and is a faster way to doc...