Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Make it and they will buy it. Or, maybe not.

I am fairly new to the world of blogs and online networking. You might say I'm old school. I was a college educated, stay-at-home mom who wanted to keep abreast of these new things called computers, so when I went back to the workforce, I'd be prepared. I didn't grow up just 'knowing' how to use a computer.  My brain didn't have the luxury of using some magical, intuitive insight on how to operate the darn thing. It was a challenge. That was sorely apparent the day my six-year-old son had to illustrate to me that the reason my computer wasn't working was because I was putting the floppy disk in backwards!

Well, that was back in 1989 (oh, my - you might say that was decades ago!). Today computers have become such an integral part of all our lives that it's difficult to comprehend how we got along without them. But what does that have to do with quilting? Everything!

This past year I have been like a child in a Candy Shop. And the 'candy' has been all the excellent blogs, tutorials, photographs, ideas, tips, web sites and sharing that exists.  For you younger quilters and crafters, this viewpoint may seem childish, but for an old schooler like me, it opens up an entirely new venue to share, create, learn and grow. Amazing!

And to help foster that spirit of enthusiasm, Kelly of Blue Bird Sews has started a Store Front Meet Up for entrepreneurs like myself to share some of the tricks that we have learned to successfully market to an online community and to local face-to-face venues.  How cool is that?

It's simple - just link up your Store Front, post to your blog and link it, and let's get started! The tried and true rule of thumb is that you should spend 25% of your time marketing your products. That's the easiest thing for most creative personalities to dismiss, but, unless you are making a roomful of items to gift to everyone you know for the next 20 years, it is vitally necessary to devote time to getting the word out about what you have to sell.  Even if you only have three items on Etsy, you need to tell people about them.

Store Front Meet Up at Blue Bird Sews

So jump on over to Blue Bird Sews and join the ride!

3 comments:

  1. So true about marketing Barb! I think I spend about 5% of my time doing this...maybe that's why my shop is so slow! And computers still elude me today - now it's learning html and how to code a website! Thanks for linking up withe the Meet-Up hope you'll join up next month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard time with the marketing. It's either I get sidetracked or bored with it so I go and sew instead! I'm learning to devote time to each side of the business, whether I want to or not. Headed over to your Etsy shop to take a peek :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog and I'm glad I found yours! I have been quilting for years and years but like you the internet is so much like a candy store! I've been blogging for a while but it is amazing what is online! Have fun!
    Quilting by the River

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts!

Remembering All The Little Things

I have let my blog side away in lieu of posting photos and updates over on Instagram. For me, it takes less time, and is a faster way to doc...