Let's see. I started cutting it out on Dec. 30 and got it pieced together soon after. Added the borders.
Then I quilted it with this luscious copper thread by Glide, but I'll be darned if it didn't give me fits on my long arm machine. Kept breaking! I rethreaded, adjusted tension, changed the needle twice, rethreaded, adjusted tension. Screamed a fair amount. But finally I got it finished. I believe it is just a two-ply polyester thread, so I tried to slow down in my quilting because perhaps it wasn't strong enough? Anyway, don't look too closely at the quilting, because it has a fair amount of stops and starts all through the darn thing. Anyone with any suggestions about what was wrong, I'm all ears!
For the backing, I found a really nice dark blue fabric with faint trees. With leaves in the border fabric, and trees on the back, I decided to quilt a leaf motif throughout, and I think it worked well. Dad's favorite color is blue, so the backing will definitely give him his blue fix. I've been working on hand-stitching the binding to the backside of the quilt this weekend, and just finished that up last night, so I guess technically it was 8 days. Whew!
For those of you who are new here or may have forgotten, this quilt is for my dad who is going blind due to macular degeneration. I wanted him to have it while he could still see somewhat. He sees better at a distance, so I can show it to him from across the room and he'll enjoy it. My daughter is coming home for a visit at the end of the month (yes!), and so we'll pay him a visit then and give it to him as an early Valentine's gift.
This was definitely a quilt made with love.
P.S. This is my Finished Quilt for A Lovely Year of Finishes sponsored by Fiber of All Sorts and Bittersweet Designs. Check out all the other great creations that quilters are working on this month.