Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Fast Forward My Sampler Quilt to the August OMG

The best laid plans . . .

Summer seems to scurry by in a flurry of activities, and so I didn't quite make my July OMG goal. I actually reached my goal to have this quilt top pieced together yesterday, August 1. A day late and a dollar short - that's me!


But the good news is that I really don't care because now I have the quilt top done. Almost. I decided to add a sashing and border to tie it all together and to make it just a bit bigger so it can fit over a bed comfortably. Without the borders, it's 86x86. And of course, I didn't have enough fabric in my stash for the final outside border, so I had to order another yard.

If you follow me on Instagram, I have been posting these blocks this winter and spring. This was a Quilt Along with Pat Sloan - the 182 Day Solstice Challenge.  It was a mystery QAL, and we didn't know what the finished quilt would look like. So I selected my stash of Joel Dewberry's Atrium collection, added in some solids here and there, and came up with this.

It was all a labor of trust, because my fabrics are so bright and varied, that I didn't know how it would look once I got them all together. But you know, I think it was a good exercise because this quilt has grown on me, and I like it quite a bit.

I especially had a difficult time deciding on which colors to use for the checkerboard sashings and filler blocks. With the help of a local quilty friend, I chose white and a light, speckled gray, and I think that was just the ticket!

So, my goal for August will be to get the sashing and border on. I'd love to say I'll get it quilted and bound, too, but with all my other quilting orders for customers this month, I don't think that will happen. Trying to be realistic!

It great to be quilting with a smile,

Barb

Linking up with:
Oh Scrap!
OMG
Linky Tuesday
Needle and Thread Thursday 
Midweek Makers 
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
Finished Or Not Friday 

19 comments:

  1. It is looking great! I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful quilt top! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful BArb. Are you still on Q&L?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this top done too, although I downsized it a bit as I didn't want a bed quilt. Have yet to quilt it - a job for another day. I love your grey and white check it is perfect. Sashings look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a very attractive quilt and it's great that you got it finished,,,almost one day late.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SO pretty! Your sashings are the perfect finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE all that turquoise and pink! I think it's wonderful! I especially like that middle large block with all those HST's. How is your Migrating Geese going? Or is it Geese Migration? I can't remember!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Very pretty! I like how the checkerboard colors tie it together. I saved the patterns but haven't made one for me, yet. I can't wait to see what you decide to do for the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very bright and beautiful. Borders always take longer than I think they should. Good luck with your goal for August.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Right sometimes, done is better! I like it thought and the checkerboard adds to it's personality!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The center block is my favorite! Great finish🙂

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a huge fan of sampler quilts, but this looks great! You tied everything together with the color scheme - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt is bright, cheery and fun! So very pretty! Congratulations! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like it quite a lot, too. Everything works well together! The checkerboards and filler blocks are perfect, anything darker may have ruined the overall look. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I began that sampler but didn't get very far. Congratulations to you for making all the blocks and setting them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful flimsy Barb and perfect colors for the sashing! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the cheery colors and such a great choice with making a sampler quilt! Best wishes on meeting your goal for August.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts!

Remembering All The Little Things

I have let my blog side away in lieu of posting photos and updates over on Instagram. For me, it takes less time, and is a faster way to doc...