I was organizing my fabric last week and ran across a Layer Cake of batiks from Moda called Make Waves. I didn't have a good place to store them, so I decided right then and there to cut them up and work them into a quilt.
I happened to remember a little video from Missouri Star Quilt Co. about slashing up a layer cake. However, I altered the slicing a bit and instead of cutting the first sewn block into half, I cut it into a 3.5-inch section and a 6.5-inch section, just to give it a little variety.
Here's the layout:
When putting together a scrappy quilt, I've learned to snap a photo of the layout, look at it on the computer, and I can see if something seems out of place. After looking at the pic above, I rearranged a little bit, and then sewed it all together.
My goal for February will be to get it quilted, bound, and finished! I actually got the quilting finished yesterday, so I'm well on my way to meeting February's goal - go, me!
I used a large, swirly rectangular echoing quilting motif. I also used purple variegated thread - how fun is that? It was a fun one to freehand quilt. It actually reminds me of topographic lines.
I hate to speak too soon, but I'm feeling accomplished. Now to work on the binding!
Quilting with a smile,
This is going to be a short post (hopefully) because I have limited time. But I have been working hard this summer to get these quilts fini...
I had the most fun last month! I was fortunate enough to be asked to quilt two sample quilts for pattern designer Janet Houts. She was m...
A funny thing happened on the way to making my son this Cacophony quilt. The pattern was purchased, the fabric was purchased. And then it s...
It's been quite a month for me! First my husband officially retired after 34 years with his company. We had a big celebration, ...