Thursday, March 15, 2018

Adopt A Quilt

What's better than free?

Cynthia Brunz over at Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework, is sponsoring her annual Quilty Orphan Adoption program.  You have the choice of putting a quilt block/project up for adoption, or adopting one of the fun quilt projects someone else has offered, or both!





I decided to look through my long-lost storage bins to see what projects I had that might be worthy of adoption. It turns out I think these just might be the ticket!

I began my quilting career years ago sewing up patchwork Levi quilts.  I'd cut up old jeans into six-inch squares, buy some nice coordinating corduroy or twill, make a fun design pattern, and stitch away!  I didn't know anything about machine quilting then, and the first quilts I made were entirely of denim. Can you say HEAVY!!!  So I tied the quilts and gave them to ALL my relatives!



These make fantastic picnic quilts, or snuggle quilts, or concert quilts, or play quilts. They are durable!

As time passed, I selected contrasting fabric that wasn't so heavy. Which was a good thing, because it's not fun to pull a muscle in your back trying to lug a quilt out of the trunk of your car so you can go experience an outdoor concert, lol!



Anyway, after everyone I knew had received one of my quilts, I still had a lot of patchwork squares cut up for future quilts, but never got around to making this one.

It has a real bright colored turquoise blue twill, a soft denim in soft lavender, a lightweight denim blue, a lighter denim with a bit so sparkle, and a denim that has a blue and lavender and white design woven throughout.  These are all cut from new fabric (not used jeans). A fun combo to come up with a fun quilt!



I hate to see this go to waste, so if you'd like to Adopt it, let me know! There are probably about 150 squares here.  Let me know how this quilt will be used after you sew it up, and I'll select an adoptive home next week.

I also have this pile of squares cut from old jeans, and if you have a use for those, I can either adopt them out separately, or combine with the multi squares above. The star denim is cut from new fabric.

Who's game?

Quilting with a smile,
Barb

Linking up with:
Quilty Orphan Adoption

9 comments:

  1. Don't tempt me Barb! Playing with all those textures sure sounds fun. I am sure they will find a good home. Thanks for participating in the event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest son has a denim quilt that I made for him 6 years ago( http://vesuviusmama.blogspot.com/2012/02/good-fortune.html), and everyone else in the family is jealous on particularly cold nights. I've been saving and cutting denim to make another for son #2, but it is slow going. I'd love to add the pile of squares cut from old jeans to my pile. I could include the denim stars if you sending them together - they'd add some fun ZING! Thanks for offering these up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to adopt your denim squares. I made denim quilts as graduation quilts. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh yes!!! I'd looove the Denim squares too!! (& Denim Stars!) Have a start on denim from old jeans too... These would help :)Thank you for the chance to Adopt them... Planning to use mine, for a quilt for Son's home.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find the selection of denims and twills (the first one with lavender) very intriguing. My brother has a rustic home with a window seat that is often used for naps. I think a quilt from this would be perfect there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am working on a denim quilt. Actually only have 5 pair of jeans saved. I have lots of really nice corduroy fabric in different colors. I think between yours and mine I could make a couple or thriple (I'm making up a new word) of quilts that I could give to family and still keep one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes!! I could use your squares!! I'd love the denim for a quilt for my grandson who is autistic and likes a weighted or heavier quilt! He would be so happy if I made him one of your squares!!
    nikilsend(at)outlook(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea to save old projects, giving them to someone else to finish and then give away! I made a jeans quilt too, once, and I think that I pulled a muscle putting it on my son's bed....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was going to ask for your denim squares and then I read minibea12's comment above. I am a retired Early Childhood Educator. Her comment touched me and I want to have my entry count as another one for her to increase her chance of getting them. Thanks for your generosity.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts!

Remembering All The Little Things

I have let my blog side away in lieu of posting photos and updates over on Instagram. For me, it takes less time, and is a faster way to doc...