Thursday, August 31, 2017

Quilting Finished for OMG August Goal!

Whew! I thought my goal was to have this quilt completely finished. And I panicked because I didn't have enough fabric for the binding, and I've had to order it.


But then I reread my goals, and I was foresighted enough to put down that I would just get the quilting done on this king-sized quilt. Mission accomplished!

This quilt comes from the six month process of following along with Pat Sloan's 182 Solstice Challenge QAL. Every two weeks we received a new block to piece. It was truly a mystery quilt, because we didn't know what the finished product would look like. So that was difficult to select fabrics for the quilt.

My goal was to use only what fabrics I had in my stash. And, as it turned out, I had a good variety of Joel Dewberry's Atrium line. I paired those with some good coordinating solids, and wha-la! A finished quilt.


         I've quilted this using an edge-to-edge pattern called Petal Pushers by Lisa H. Calle. It was such a fun design to quilt, and I think it matches the playfulness of this quilt perfectly!



I just received the binding fabric, so my new goal for September will be to get this bound! I'm bound to accomplish that one, eh?

Quilting with a smile,
Barb

OMG

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Fast Forward My Sampler Quilt to the August OMG

The best laid plans . . .

Summer seems to scurry by in a flurry of activities, and so I didn't quite make my July OMG goal. I actually reached my goal to have this quilt top pieced together yesterday, August 1. A day late and a dollar short - that's me!


But the good news is that I really don't care because now I have the quilt top done. Almost. I decided to add a sashing and border to tie it all together and to make it just a bit bigger so it can fit over a bed comfortably. Without the borders, it's 86x86. And of course, I didn't have enough fabric in my stash for the final outside border, so I had to order another yard.

If you follow me on Instagram, I have been posting these blocks this winter and spring. This was a Quilt Along with Pat Sloan - the 182 Day Solstice Challenge.  It was a mystery QAL, and we didn't know what the finished quilt would look like. So I selected my stash of Joel Dewberry's Atrium collection, added in some solids here and there, and came up with this.

It was all a labor of trust, because my fabrics are so bright and varied, that I didn't know how it would look once I got them all together. But you know, I think it was a good exercise because this quilt has grown on me, and I like it quite a bit.

I especially had a difficult time deciding on which colors to use for the checkerboard sashings and filler blocks. With the help of a local quilty friend, I chose white and a light, speckled gray, and I think that was just the ticket!

So, my goal for August will be to get the sashing and border on. I'd love to say I'll get it quilted and bound, too, but with all my other quilting orders for customers this month, I don't think that will happen. Trying to be realistic!

It great to be quilting with a smile,

Barb

Linking up with:
Oh Scrap!
OMG
Linky Tuesday
Needle and Thread Thursday 
Midweek Makers 
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
Finished Or Not Friday 

Sewing for the Christmas Bazaar

I think there is good reason I am feeling burnt out with sewing and quilting this fall!  I have been getting ready for our local holiday ba...